Good morning Divers!!!

Welcome to those that are new to the list. This is the group that dives every Saturday (conditions permitting).

We are planning to go to Catalina on September 26, 2015. Make your reservations with the Catalina Express. You can either call 562.485.3300 or go to
CatalinaExpress.com. Roundtrip tickets are $74.50 (Senior price (55+) is $68). Here's a tip: get the Commodore Lounge upgrade ($15) for the way
back. The line is shorter and you get on the ship first, plus you get a drink.

Take the Long Beach to Avalon ship at 6:15am. Choose your own time coming back (2:05, 3:45, 6, or 7:30). I believe the trailer closes at 4.

The trailer opens at 8am and there you can rent any equipment you need. It's best to rent a tank and weights there so you don't have lug those through
town. There is a baggage service which charges $10 to haul your gear over and back. They also store it for you if you are staying late. It may take 30
minutes for them to come out and pick it up at Casino Pt. Their phone number is (310) 510-9599.

Saturday's dive report:
Begin Time: 8:59 am
Time: 52 min
Max Dept: 58ft
Temp: 70-75 F
Visibility: 10-20 feet
Conditions: Salt water, shore dive, moving to low tide, small south swell waves, surge, current.
Dive Buddies: Trevor. Total 12.

The conditions have been bad for 3 weeks. Even with a big summer storm a few days before, we were able to dive because the rain advisory was lifted
the day before. South swell was still around. A current was pushing the group up the coast. Visibility was about normal for Laguna at this time of the

I got to the mall and we had one new person join us. Today was a beach clean up day and so I wanted to avoid a few beaches and we headed to
Heisler Park for ease of parking. We left the mall and arrived and the surf looked manageable. Rich was sitting this dive out and the rest suited up and
into the water we went.

We swam out to a drop down point and I noticed the kelp has thinned out. It was also pointed up the coast which means we had a current to deal with.
When I caught up with the group, they drifted up the coast and we had to swim back to one of our drop down points. I looked below and saw a reef
and we dropped down there.

We swam along the reef and passed a few small ones and then hit the largest reef. We stayed there most of the dive, looking into crevices and
checking out the fish. I kept my video light on for the entire dive and the Garibaldi fish were interested in the light. One got interested in my mask and
tried to bite it.

The male sheep head were large and numerous. Many people saw a lot of lobsters. I saw a school of yellow tail swim above the reef. Lots of baby fish
swimming around in schools. There were some large kelp bass - about the same size as male CA sheep head. I couldn't see it but a diver pointed out
an octopus and I tried video taping in the direction that he was pointing.

After about 30 minutes, I swam back into shore at a leisurely pace. I was hoping to see something interesting on the way back in, but there wasn't
anything. I ascended too close to the reef and was in only 10 feet of water. I still had a long way to swim back to shore. Getting out of the water wasn't
a problem. There were some good sized waves, but I didn't see any when I was getting out. We packed up our gear and headed to Husky Boy's for
food and conversation.


Diving!! DO IT!! Safely...

Rich Parker & Louis Umphenour