Good morning Divers!!!

Begin Time: 8:48 am
Time: 38 min
Max Dept: 44ft
Temp: 58-64 F
Visibility: 10-12 feet
Conditions: Salt water, shore dive, low tide, small south swell waves, surge, current.
Dive Buddies: Rich. Total 12.

I've been out of the water for 5 months. Conditions have been bad all this time and when there were a few good times, I was on a trip. Today the conditions were ok
on the surface but down below, it was bad.

I met up with Rich and he drove me the remainder to the mall where we met up with 12 of us divers. There weren't any new people. Everybody there dove with us
before either once or twice or they were the regulars. Because the surf has finally been down and a south swell was coming in, we chose Crescent Bay's Dead
Man's Reef.

When we arrived, the surf wasn't bad but it was cold and wet out. The sun was behind thick clouds and it was drizzling. We suited up and went into the water.
When I approached the water, some good sized waves were hitting the beach. A few 4 footers hit the beach and I waited it out. When clear, I ran in and swam out
to meet with the group. 9 of us decided to dive deadman's and the remainder decided to go to Seal Rock and dive there.

When we descended, it was a dark and visibility was only 10 feet. Down we went and we didn't see the bottom until we were 8 feet from it. Rich led the way and we
were going west. We ran into Deadhenge and followed it to the reef. The visibility didn't improve when we reached the reef. We swam along the reef towards the
end and came around the back side. It was hard trying to see the school of fish. There were lots of CA Sheephead fish on the back side of Deadman's. The kelp
was missing and only a few small kelp strands were anchored to the rocks.

When we swam to the front side, I motioned to Rich it was time to come in. I was ready to cut the dive short because the conditions were not good. We made our
way back to Deadhenge and swam to the inner reef. The visibility was a little better there and we surfaced in 12 feet of water.

We packed up our gear and headed to Husky Boy's for food and conversation. We met up with Luca and Daniela. They went to Divers Cove and had similar
visibility. Paul came later and talked about how they saw a Giant Black Sea Bass after coming back from Seal Rock. He reported the visibility was the same there

Not really a good dive, but since I haven't been in the water for 5 months, it was good practice to be in the water to verify that my equipment was still working and
how to put it all together.


Diving!! DO IT!! Safely...

Rich Parker & Louis Umphenour