Good morning Divers!!!

Before my dive report, I'll give you information about going to Catalina and dive the Avalon Dive Park on August 5th.

Make Reservations with Catalina Express out of Long Beach. Phone number is 800-613-1212. We will take the 6am boat out of Long Beach and return on the 2pm
boat. For the return trip, upgrade to the Commodore Lounge. This will get you on the boat first and you will sit upstairs. A drink and snack is offered. Round trip
price is $73.50 and the Commodore Lounge Upgrade for the return trip is $15. For us old folks, the senior price is $66.50

Begin Time: 8:54 am
Time: 35 min
Max Dept: 37 ft
Temp: 68-74 F
Visibility: 15-20 feet
Conditions: Salt water, shore dive, Low move to high tide, waves, surge.
Equipment: Custom wet suit, steel tank, Hollis back plate BCD, Liquid Vision Kaon Dive Computer.
Dive Buddies: Jack and Chuck. Total 11.

Equipment Configuration:
Custom wet suit with Steel 80
Weight pockets on BCD: (2x5) + (2x2) = 14
Back plate attached to BCD: 8
Total weight: 22

The south swells were still hitting Laguna, but it calmed down on Friday. We had an opportunity to dive before another set of south swells from another hurricane.
We picked another dive site because we've been playing it too safe. And we are glad we did. There are sharks in the reef at Heisler Park.

I got to the mall and we met up with a new diver and a few others returning. Some of the regulars are getting tired of Crescent Bay's Deadman's Reef so we
decided to switch it up and head to Heisler Park. We left the mall and zoomed down there.

A few big waves hit the beach, but there were long lulls between them. This would give us enough time to get in and out. We suited up and headed to the beach.
As expected, a few big waves hit the beach and if you waited for it to clear, you can make it in without any problems. We swam out to the edge of the reef and we
descended where there was a clearing in the kelp.

At the bottom, we grouped up and I headed east. I noticed a large kelp forest east of where we dropped down and I wanted to check it out. We swam over the reefs
and went into the kelp forest. It was dark and when you looked up, you would see the kelp canopy blocking the surface. We swam along the reef and after a few
minutes, I encounter a leopard shark. It was about 5 feet long and got scared of us and whipped it tail at a furious pace to get away from us.

I kept swimming along the reef and just out of my field of vision, I saw another shark. This was blue and didn't have the leopard shark markings. Our thinking it
might be the soup fin shark. Or it might have been the blue shark which used to be in our waters. I swam further and there it was again. I looked around and then I
saw another. There were 2 of them that I could see. It made me a bit nervous, so I swam up and over the reef and onto the sand.

It was about time to head back and so I headed north, but I didn't want to head back over the sand. So I changed course and headed east to find the reef again.
When I came to the reef , I headed north to enjoy being in the reef. Around a few minutes we were in shallow water, and decided to head up. We are on top of the
reef that is close to shore so we had to swim away from it and back to the beach. The waves weren't bad and we got out without any problem.

We packed up our gear and headed to Husky Boy's for food and conversation. It was a really good dive and we were really happy about changing the dive site to
Heisler Park. We might have to try it again.


Diving!! DO IT!! Safely...

Rich Parker & Louis Umphenour