Good morning Divers!!!

Max Depth: 44ft
Avg Depth: 29ft
Duration: 39 minutes
Time: 9:04 am
Min Temp: 61 F
Max Temp: 61 F
Visibility: 10 feet
Conditions: Salt water, shore dive, high tide, waves, surge, extreme current.
Equipment: Custom wet suit #2, steel tank, Hollis back plate BCD, Liquid Vision Kaon Dive Computer, MGCool Explorer Camera.
Dive Buddies: Paul. Total 7.

The worse dive of the year. Bad visibility plus extreme current running up the coast. The surf wasn't too bad, but the wind chop was rough.

Rich picked me up and we arrived at the mall around 7 and waited. No new people, just a few of the regulars. We heard that there might be red tide coming so we
decided on Crescent Bay and dive Deadman's Reef.

We got to the dive site and saw the water was choppy and a few waves hit the beach. Not too bad, so we suited up and entered the water. The swim out was rough
and once we passed the inner reef, the current was taking us up the coast to seal rock. It also moved us out further from the shore too. We kicked and kicked to try
to get back to the drop down point, but some of us were getting tired and so we just dropped where we were.

Paul and I were at some reef. I thought it was Deadman's, but it wasn't. We tried swimming east but the current was so strong that we didn't really go east. We
swam around and looked at the reefs we saw hanging on to the rocks so we wouldn't lose any ground.

It was very dark down there and the water was green. I gave up looking at my compass, it was too dark. Paul took the lead and we headed in a direction that I
though was north. Then he headed east which would move us closer to Deadman's Reef. But then Paul headed south towards deeper water and then west. We
were swimming around in circles. I had enough and signaled us to go to the surface. When we reached the surface, we were being pushed to Seal Rock. I had
enough of swimming in low visibility so I headed back to shore on the surface.

I reached a thick kelp patch and started to get stuck in it. The only way to escape was to drop down and swim through. After I got through I surfaced again. This
time I was over the inner reef. There was more kelp patches ahead so I swam face down with my reg in my mouth to get through the maze of kelp. After getting
through it was a clear path to the shore.

A few other divers were waiting on the shore along with Rich. We all agreed this was one dive that only experienced divers should do. The visibility was low and the
current was very strong.

After packing up our gear, we headed for Husky Boy's for food and conversation. What a bad day of diving! But we got through it thanks to years of constant diving
every weekend.



Diving!! DO IT!! Safely...

Rich Parker & Louis Umphenour